I finally came up with a routine for cleaning my ear that I think works best!
- Colorless, odorless antibacterial soap. I went to CVS, a drugstore, and bought SoftSoap clear antibacterial soap. It had no scents or color. If your soap is scented and colorful, that makes it more harsh on your piercing. Think about it, your piercing is essentially a puncture in your ear. Would you want to put some fruity soap onto an open wound?! NO!
- Sea Salt. When I got my piercing, I went with a friend who was getting her belly button pierced. She told me that she now cleans it with iodized salt (a.k.a. table salt). THIS IS A BIG NO-NO. At least as far as cartilage goes, iodized salt burns so bad. It stings and does not clean it properly. Trust me, just get some sea salt. You can get it at your local grocery store.
- H2Ocean Spray. I'm 99% sure that you can buy this spray at your piercing parlor. I recall that my parlor did have it. However, when I got my piercing, I was not aware of what it even was. So, I went home and learned the hard way that it is a godsend. It's also available at Hot Topic or your can go to their website :)
Cleaning piercing with H2Ocean Spray::
- I do this usually at night, right before I go to bed.
- Step 1 - WASH YOUR HANDS. The number one rule for handling your piercing is to NEVER touch it with dirty hands. Hence, wash your hands thoroughly please!
- Step 2 - Use a q-tip. They may also be known as "cotton buds." It is the cardboard stick with cotton on each end. This will simply make cleaning your piercing much more convenient.
- Step 3 - Spray one end of the q-tip with the H2Ocean spray until it is saturated.
- Step 4 - Carefully clean the area around your piercing using the q-tip. If this is difficult, try using a mirror, or ask someone for help. I usually make my mom or a friend help me! Use the q-tip to wipe away any fluid drainage or any crust that has formed. Don't worry, both of these are normal!!
- Step 5 - Spray the back of your piercing with the H2Ocean spray directly. Use a healthy amount, but not too much.
- Step 6 - Repeat steps 3-5 for the front of the piercing. Although this is a lot easier to clean using the q-tip!
- You can let this spray dry on your ear. Do not rinse it off!
Cleaning piercing with Colorless, Odorless Antibacterial Soap::
- I do this usually in the morning, when I am in the shower. Although it can be done simply at a sink!
- Step 1 - Get your ear and the piercing wet with fresh, running water.
- Step 2 - Pump a little bit of the soap onto your (CLEAN) hands.
- Step 3 - Rub your hands together until the soap reaches a nice lather.
- Step 4 - Rub the lathered soap around the piercing area. You can use a q-tip if it would be more convenient. Make sure to get the front and back!
- Step 5 - Rinse the soap thoroughly.
Cleaning piercing with Sea Salt Soaks::
- I do this a few times a week. It's not a daily thing because I like the regime of the H2Ocean spray and the antibacterial soap. However, if your piercing is irritated or hurts, this reduces the pain!!
- Step 1 - Fill a cup with 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Step 2 - Add 8oz. of water.
- Step 3 - Microwave until the salt dissolves.
- Step 4 - Allow the water to cool.
- Step 5 - Place your ear/piercing in the sea salt solution for about 10-15 minutes
- Do not rinse your ear after you are done!
There we go! Simple as that.
**Also, reccommendation, only rotate your hoop/ spin your stud when you are cleaning to help get the crust away. It is okay during cleaning, and only during cleaning!!**